Sunday, January 25, 2009

Barcelona at last!

So I am a little late starting my blog. It took a couple weeks for things to settle down and for me to find time to do things like this.  Grace and I finally arrived in Barcelona on the 8th. Everything went well as far as getting here-- all of our flights were on time and we didn't have any trouble finding our way through the airports.  When we got to Barcelona, we went to the hotel that we were staying at for the weekend. Everyone from API was there for our orientation. This included tours and information meetings. On Saturday we got to move into our apartment, which is a lot nicer than I had expected.  All of the roommates are really nice. Besides Grace and I, there are two guys, Austin and Pat and then another girl, Katie. They are all from Boston and very cool. 

The first week we just got to explore the city. Pretty much every night consisted of going out with everyone from API. Most of the nights we stayed out until 5 a.m.   All of the club and bar owners here love American and other foreign students and cater to us big time. We get free drinks almost every night. Sometimes there will be an open bar for the entire night where we can have anything we want. It's crazy. As you can probably guess, the first week was pretty crazy but so much fun.  

The second week we started class and things definitely calmed down. All of my classes are very easy. On Mondays and Wednesdays I have Spanish for 4 hours which is a little intense, considering there are only 10 other people in the class with me.  Then on Tuesdays and Thursdays I have two other classes. The campus is very small but pretty. It's only a 30 minute walk from my apartment so I try to do that as much as possible. It's a really nice walk and the weather is so nice-- definitely a great way to start the day. 

Grace and I seemed to have adapted to life here pretty fast. The first day on our own we were able to figure out the metro system and find our way around without any problem.  Life here is a lot easier than I had expected.  One of the best things about the two of us is that we aren't picky eaters, which is great because the food here is amazing. We've tried so many new foods and have yet to order something we didn't like. We already have a market that we go to every few days for food and we have a few cafés that we go to for coffee and pastries in the morning.

This coming weekend we will be in Paris, so there will be more to be said then!

No comments:

Post a Comment